School Expenses: An Update. And still counting…

by jolyn on September 28, 2010

in Kids' Expenses

Just got a bill from Conner’s high school. All in all, not too bad…

• English: $9.50
  • Physical Science: $20
  • French 2: $13
  • Health: $4
  • Drafting Techniques: $20
  • Algebra: $8

Total: $74.50

…So far, anyway? Kind of wondering if there’ll still be an admin fee, or if it’s all mixed in with the individual class fees… I am also purposely avoiding an additional “fee” of fund raising for his graduating class of 2014. *gulp* They just hit us up for about $85, which you could pay by selling some t-shirts or by just writing a check. Conner and I talked about it and decided we will forgo that one since he won’t actually be graduating with his class. At least, I’m assuming this house will sell before then…

I also paid for Conner’s school pictures: $34

And for Peter’s: $31

Olivia’s school hasn’t scheduled their pictures yet. And yes, I have three kids in three different schools, in three different parts of town. Thank God for school buses.

And I finally paid for Peter’s kindergarten school supplies, which I was fortunately still able to do through the PTO: $10

New Total: $149.50

After adding this to the previous total

Grand Total (so far) Spent on School for Three Kids: $331.18

In case you missed them the first time around, or you’d like a reminder, here’s my previous posts outlining how much I’ve spent on school supplies and related sundries this year:

In sort of semi-completely unrelated news, my teenager’s room looks like this now.

He’s been responsible for doing his own laundry. Yea. You can see how well that’s been going. As I just asked him today, “Have you been wearing dirty clothes every day or what?”

“Uh… not yet.”

Clearly, he has enough clothes. So there’s that. And it’s the sorting of them that’s daunting him. That is a difficult skill to master, to be sure — to do it properly, that is. So long as they don’t grow and multiply and work their way into the hallway and stink up the whole house I’m letting Natural Consequences dictate his developing a laundry routine. I figure even if it takes him whole year to gain confidence and consistency and mad sorting skillz he’ll still be way ahead of half the men I know.

Go ahead, let me have it. I dare you.

Then tell me how your school year’s going. Nickel and diming you yet?

Then tell me how bad your men are at doing laundry. You know you want to.

Nicole@grumpyrumblings October 3, 2010 at 8:58 am

I was going to ask if he needed a laundry basket… then I saw it peaking out. Pretty impressive.

And yes, the men in my life don’t have a problem with laundry. We tend to do it together in shifts of whoever notices.

AbbyJ September 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Maybe 2 or 3 separate bins would help with the sorting…depending on how many loads (looks like 2 or 3 from the pic) are in the pile. So a bin for whites, a bin for darks, and if needed, a bin for bright colors? You could even attach a sign above each bin to help with clarity. ;)

Good idea! I’ll tell Conner he needs to go out and buy himself some bins. :)

Nicole September 29, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Oh my goodness! That laundry pile looks suspiciously like my sons…. I finally realized that he must have Plenty of clothes. I was washing once a week, but somehow he can make it two when he has to do the laundry!

Exactly!

Jerilyn September 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Just help him sort a few times. It won’t be so daunting, he’ll catch on fast, and then you’re out of there.

He’s initiating the sort but then I’m following up. So far, he’s leaning toward a dozen or so different piles with one or two articles of clothing in each… No wonder it’s taking him so long! I re-sort and tell him (again) how to group things together — so, you know, it’s an actual load of laundry, and not just a handful. ;)

I give him at least six more months to get that part down. Then I’ll start having him do the rest of the family’s laundry, too.

kidding!

Suzanne September 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

I have to admit school expenses haven’t been to bad for me this year but, my kids are still young (only in second grade). Lucky for me, our high taxes, (unlucky for me :( ) cover all the supplies the kids needed for school. So far I have spent $13 for each child on school pictures (I buy the smallest package just so we can get the class picture), I take much better pictures of the kids on my own. As far as clothes, luckily they are 2 sizes apart so I only need to purchase clothes for one, the other wears the hand me downs, with a few new pieces thrown in. Our big expense is definately the athletics they participate in…. so far I have shelled out over $300 between the two of them and it’s only September!
Kudos on the laundry thing! Don’t give in, soon your teenager will realize their room smells and be motivated to actually toss a load in the wash!

Oh, athletic activities aren’t even included in this. My teenager isn’t big into sports all-year round, but his brother and sister have lots of activities outside of school that cost plenty of $$. That’ll be a separate post.

Cathie September 29, 2010 at 8:51 am

I think it’s excellent that you are “teaching” him about laundry. And wow on those school costs. Thankfully, our “administrative fees” are all taken care of via the incredibly high taxes in my township. There will be no escaping the picture fees, although we always get the most economical package. I’m surprised they even still do school pictures, with how easy it is for anyone and everyone to take photos these days. My school budget has only increased by the amount I deposited in his lunch account.

You know, I think it’s just the old-school gal still in me that keeps ordering those picture packages. Something about the school photo. Maybe when I finally get me my DSLR I’ll give them up.

Brenda September 29, 2010 at 8:42 am

My worst school expense so far this year $177.92 for two AP tests that will be taken in May. The fees were due yesterday 9/28. I got the notice about two weeks prior to the due date, finding that money in the budget last minute was fun.

Good for you teaching your teenager to do his own laundry. My husband does his own laundry – he doesn’t like the way I do it. Fine by me. My 17 year old son has been doing his own laundry since he was in about third grade. He doesn’t really sort much – but his clothes are clean.

Since the third grade! That is impressive. I admit, I wrote that about men and laundry even though I know many men do laundry quite well on their own, thank you very much. My one BIL has always done all of their family’s laundry, actually — no small feat with four boys and lots of sports. He took over after my sister messed up a load of his clothes at the beginning of their marriage. She says it’s the best mistake she’s ever made.