House is officially on the market. Come on in! Don’t worry: the paint’s dry.

by jolyn on May 10, 2010

in Selling a House

One of many things I did very recently to get this house ready to put up for sale was to paint the front door. My friend Lucy pointed out some chipped paint on the frame; the realtor later mentioned the same on her first visit.

See?

So I did some digging to find something I remembered coming across when we first bought the house: a thick file with paperwork regarding absolutely everything that had ever been done to this place. Sometimes it pays to be a pack rat. Or at least, sometimes it benefits someone else.

But wait, what is that? That circle thing that reflected the flash on this puny point-and-shoot wonderful camera I am so grateful my mother gave me to use after mine bit the dust?

Ah, that’s right. Olivia was saying something about wanting to put a “for sale” sign on the door, but I told her it wasn’t time yet. I guess she improvised.

So back to the pack-rat file — I found the original brochure for the paint store, where, a couple two-three owners ago, someone bought some red paint. Country Redwood, to be exact. So I went to that same store, and I bought that same paint.

A mere $21.39 for one quart.

Can anyone defend, justify, or otherwise explain the high cost of Benjamin Moore paint? Because that’s outrageous.

But it did look good when all was said and done. I went ahead and painted the whole dang thing. Why not? Might as well get my money’s worth. Besides, the door had various scratches and knicks in addition to the chips on the frame. And now? It looks real good.

See?

But wait, what’s that I see on the door now? It’s not a for sale sign…

But it is a lockbox. Because the house, is now, indeed, for sale. Olivia’s note notwithstanding; I’m sure she’ll be making a new one soon. In the meantime, we’re officially on the market.

(I left Huckster in there just for you, Renee.) (Since I know how much you love cats.)

Monroe on a Budget » Painting the exterior doors
May 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

Jessica May 13, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I thought of you last night in Financial Peace University. It was about buying and selling a home and for sellers Dave said, “If you paint one thing, make it the front door.” So, good job!

Yea! Thanks!

Julie May 11, 2010 at 8:18 pm

When I said color matched, I mean that Home Depot has formulas for those brands in their paint computers. I had some Behr interior paint mixed up from a SW color, and it was identical to the color on the paint chip card!

Yea. I didn’t really realize how expensive the paint was until I got there. I mean, I knew Benjamin Moore paint was expensive, but sheesh.

Julie May 11, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Looks good! FYI, for future house paint reference…you can have Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams shades color matched at Home Depot (and Lowes, too, I believe) to save some $$. That is, assuming you have a Depot/Lowes available, I guess!

Love your blog…really enjoying your homemade powdered laundry detergent recipe!

Monroe on a Budget Reply:

In reply to the comments, I just got paint mixed today at Lowe’s that was based on a Sherwin Williams paint chip.

In reply to the post, thanks for saying how useful it is to have files of what was done to the house! I have been building a log book with color names etc. for my decoration tasks – now I know it really does come in handy.

Jerilyn May 11, 2010 at 11:17 am

It looks great! But I’m kind of sad. I really liked that house. Oh, and I hope you’re feeling better.

Carmen May 11, 2010 at 8:34 am

You have worked hard to get to this point. Now when people are at your house looking, go play! And, the door looks great!

Mysti May 11, 2010 at 7:44 am

Congrats!!!! Sending you positive energy that this is a smooth and painless process! And of course, continuing good vibes for Hubs to be home soon.